Help: My Google Home Mini has a Case of the Hiccups

Talk about any modifications to Google Home
nbetcher

Help: My Google Home Mini has a Case of the Hiccups

Post by nbetcher »

Hello,
I've tried to mod my Google Home Mini with the 3.5mm jack (+switch), and I'll admit that I'm not a pro at reading wire diagrams (aka this is my first time trying to practically apply one). Unfortunately after implementing my interpretation of the diagram, my Google Home Mini has a case of the hiccups where the speaker occasionally clicks every once in a while in protest of my electrical handicappedness. Short of that, nothing really works.

Here are some photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ga8sNLZV1o2B57sb2. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. A link to the forums on the main website would be splendid. ;-)

Thanks, --Nick
jonathan

Re: Help: My Google Home Mini has a Case of the Hiccups

Post by jonathan »

Hi Nick. Thanks for your post.

Thanks for your suggestion, Ill be adding a link to the forum from the shop and website.

Looking at your pictures I see two issues:

1. Did you cut the ground plane completely on the PCB? It looks like you need to cut a bit deeper to sever the electrical connection. Use a multi-meter to confirm. Cut both sides completely.

2. It looks as though you have wired the headphone jack incorrectly. the two red wires should be connected to the two pins furthest away from the input of the plug, see pic:
plug.PNG
correct.PNG
Let me know if this fixes it!
nbetcher

Post by nbetcher »

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately neither suggestion fixed it, so I took to using some troubleshooting skills and narrowed it down to the wires on the switch. I don't know why, but that's what was causing it to short out. After painstakingly trying to resolder the wires back onto the switch and having it again not work, I decided to completely sever the speaker from the internal plug, so it's only running a 3.5mm out now.

Hope others have more luck! ;-)
Loris4Stegan

Post by Loris4Stegan »

jonathan wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:54 pm
Hi Nick. Thanks for your post.

Thanks for your suggestion, Ill be adding a link to the forum from the shop and website.

Looking at your pictures I see two issues:

1. Did you cut the ground plane completely on the PCB? It looks like you need to cut a bit deeper to sever the electrical connection. Use a multi-meter to confirm. Cut both sides completely.

2. It looks as though you have wired the noise canceling headphone jack incorrectly. the two red wires should be connected to the two pins furthest away from the input of the plug, see pic:
plug.PNGcorrect.PNG

Let me know if this fixes it!
How can I connect my pc with it..??