Mic for Iron Man Project

Talk about any modifications to Google Home
Radio Joe

Mic for Iron Man Project

Post by Radio Joe »

Hi,

I am building a project- I am modifying an Iron Man helmet for my son using a Google home mini. I want to remote mount the microphones to the outside of the helmet so the mini can hear him. I am also considering adding an amplified speaker in place of the original It looks like your V1 board will work but would be interested to know if you have a microphone already designed. If not I have some random preamps I can experiment with.

I saw on a previous message you mentioned "I have orders some MAX9814 electret mic with pre-amp units which feature auto-gain control to keep the microphone signal at the right levels. I will try them out with the mod kit and have them for sale here if they perform well." Did you ever check if this worked?

Thanks
Radio Joe
jonathan

Re: Mic for Iron Man Project

Post by jonathan »

Hi Radio Joe,

I tried out the fixed gain mic recently. It worked pretty well. For this sort of application, I think the fixed gain mic is best, since the mouth will be constant distance from the mic. The amplified output should work as well.

I can send you a fixed gain mic along with your V1 if you decide to buy.

I'll see if I can find the variable gain mics to try as well.

I'd love to see the end result of the helmet, sounds like a cool project.

Jon.
Radio Joe

Post by Radio Joe »

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the feedback- Its been a while. Life got in the way but I am back on the project now. I will order the V1 and Ill put up some pictures once I get it installed.

-Joe-
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Thanks Joe.

Will try to get this kit to you with the mic soon.

Jon
Radio Joe

Post by Radio Joe »

HI Jon,

Got the Snektek board and microphone. I wired them up and it does work, but the microphone seems to not amplify enough. I have to basically hold it right to my face to get it to work. Is there anything I can do to adjust the gain or is that basically all it can do?

-Radio Joe-