Launching SnekTek Solar Dashboard PLUS model

Projects related to Solar Power
jonathan

Launching SnekTek Solar Dashboard PLUS model

Post by jonathan »

Hi everyone,

Today I can announce the SnekTek Solar Dashboard PLUS model. The PLUS model will feature 4 new metrics:

- Percent Relative Humidity
- kilopascals (kPa)
- Ambient temperature at the SnekTek Solar Dashboard
- Lux (Brightness)

We are going to use these metrics in the future to provide Cloud Intelligence Insights into your system, for those with a mysolardashboard.snektek.com Cloud Subscription.

For example, if the temperature is below 0 degrees C and the Lux is showing good sunlight, but the solar production is low, we can generate a Cloud Intelligence Insight indicating that the panels may be covered by snow. Snow Cover can also be estimated in Real-Time and displayed on the graph as another metric.

Using the Temperature, Humidity, Pressure and Lux sensor we can estimate the weather conditions as well, maybe combined with internet weather forecasts and reports if available.

The SnekTek Solar Dashboard PLUS model is now available to be optioned (pre-order) on the shop at https://www.snektek.com/shop/SnekTek-So ... Compatible

Expect shipping by March 20th.

Let me know your thoughts on this.
The Sensors used are the Texas Instruments OPT3001 and Bosch BME280

See screenshots Below:
plus_mode_epever_select.PNG
plus_model_epever.PNG
ronmackaypei

Re: Launching SnekTek Solar Dashboard PLUS model

Post by ronmackaypei »

2023-08-25 08_00_02-Garage.jpg
Since my Snektek monitor just arrived last week I can assume it's the "Plus" model.
These extra sensors don't seem to have valid values, except Lux.
(See attached screenshot from moments ago)

Speaking of Lux, when I first setup the SnekTek into my Renogy 30A MMP I noticed the Lux value did change with ambient 'brightness' and was not sure where the sensor was. Since the garage has windows the Snektek unit would get sunlight. However, just lately I rebuilt my system with 2 panels on my roof and the Renogy & Snektek in the basement.
I noticed that when I was working on the system, I would have the basement lights on and got an almost constant Lux value (some sunlight gets in too). However, I quickly realized the Lux sensor must be in the Snektek unit since the value shown varies whether the basement lights are on or off.
As comparison a screen capture from a few days ago when the unit was in my garage and sunlight starts to show around 6:30.
Is there calibration needed for the other sensors?
- Ron
Image can't seem to upload images?
2023-08-25 08_00_02-Garage.jpg
2023-08-29 15_48_00-Dashboard.jpg
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

ronmackaypei wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:02 pm
2023-08-25 08_00_02-Garage.jpgSince my Snektek monitor just arrived last week I can assume it's the "Plus" model.
These extra sensors don't seem to have valid values, except Lux.
(See attached screenshot from moments ago)

Speaking of Lux, when I first setup the SnekTek into my Renogy 30A MMP I noticed the Lux value did change with ambient 'brightness' and was not sure where the sensor was. Since the garage has windows the Snektek unit would get sunlight. However, just lately I rebuilt my system with 2 panels on my roof and the Renogy & Snektek in the basement.
I noticed that when I was working on the system, I would have the basement lights on and got an almost constant Lux value (some sunlight gets in too). However, I quickly realized the Lux sensor must be in the Snektek unit since the value shown varies whether the basement lights are on or off.
As comparison a screen capture from a few days ago when the unit was in my garage and sunlight starts to show around 6:30.
Is there calibration needed for the other sensors?
- Ron
Image can't seem to upload images?2023-08-25 08_00_02-Garage.jpg2023-08-29 15_48_00-Dashboard.jpg
Hi Ron,

I'm glad you're enjoying the unit.

You ordered the regular model, the plus model is available on the website as a drop down option. However I send you a plus model with a working light sensor only. I got a batch of plus models where the environment sensor is not working so I send you the plus model with the working lux sensor as a bonus. The sensors are next to the SD card slot see if you can find them!
Jonathan
ronmackaypei

Post by ronmackaypei »

OK thanks Jonathan, that explains why I saw Lux only data.
-Ron
ronmackaypei

Post by ronmackaypei »

2023-09-03 09_34_59-DISPLAY-SETTINGS.jpg
While the LUX sensor does work, it's not needed in my setup.
The dashboard DISPLAY SETTINGS (see pix) allows easy config of data types to be hidden (not needed for display). However this list has only a couple of the Environment settings.
Could the following be added:
Humidity, KPa, Ambient Celcius, Lux

These settings are stored in the browser according to the info. Is there any config file on the SD card that would make that semi-permanent?
Thanks,
Ron
fredivar

Post by fredivar »

Hi Jonathan
Interesting with a new model which possibly can recognize if snow is covering the panels. In my area in Norway, this would happen from time to time, and when this happens, I would very much request a new feature (if possible) where the Snektek Solar Dashboard can go into a "low powered mode" during night time and when covered by snow, as now charging may not happen for 1 week up to two months in the wintertime. And to preserve as much energy as possible, a "low powered mode" would be much wanted. Maybe only reading data from the charger once pr hour in "low powered mode" ?
What is the average current consumption on the new model compared to the old one in normal operating mode?

Best regards
Fred Ivar
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

ronmackaypei wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:43 am
2023-09-03 09_34_59-DISPLAY-SETTINGS.jpgWhile the LUX sensor does work, it's not needed in my setup.
The dashboard DISPLAY SETTINGS (see pix) allows easy config of data types to be hidden (not needed for display). However this list has only a couple of the Environment settings.
Could the following be added:
Humidity, KPa, Ambient Celcius, Lux

These settings are stored in the browser according to the info. Is there any config file on the SD card that would make that semi-permanent?
Thanks,
Ron
Yes this needs to be added. Next update
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

fredivar wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:42 am
Hi Jonathan
Interesting with a new model which possibly can recognize if snow is covering the panels. In my area in Norway, this would happen from time to time, and when this happens, I would very much request a new feature (if possible) where the Snektek Solar Dashboard can go into a "low powered mode" during night time and when covered by snow, as now charging may not happen for 1 week up to two months in the wintertime. And to preserve as much energy as possible, a "low powered mode" would be much wanted. Maybe only reading data from the charger once pr hour in "low powered mode" ?
What is the average current consumption on the new model compared to the old one in normal operating mode?

Best regards
Fred Ivar
Yes this was the intention. With lux you can now deduce snow covering the panels. And possibly turn off a load. Didn't think about turning off the solar dashboard itself. However this software function has not been developed yet. The new model consumes the same amount of power, about half watt. Continuously.