Solar Dashboard Project

Projects related to Solar Power
jonathan

Re: Solar Dashboard Project

Post by jonathan »

rosspeel wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:39 am
I think i have worked out getting Python going, when i open up CMD prompt and type in Python i now get a reply

CMD Python response.jpg

I found a Youtube video on installing esptool.py
https://youtu.be/p4UGKRKYFCs
esptool Installing.jpg

My Python script directory after install has the esptool inside it now after install
Python37 Scripts Files.jpg

But when i open Bash in where the bin files are and try and erase or upload the bin files i still get an error
Bash error.jpg

Any advice on what i am doing wrong would be helpful
Ross
Instead of "installing" esptool, try this:

Unzip a new esptool-master folder.
Put the 2 firmware files inside
Run the bash command from inside this folder.
See screenshot of my setup:
solar_dashboard_esptool_config.PNG
rosspeel

Post by rosspeel »

your worth more beer Jonathan, finally worked it out
One error i came across was

CODE: SELECT ALL
$ python esptool.py write_flash 0x000000 firmware.bin 0x300000 spiffs.bin

By SELECT ALL i was carry across an extra $ into the window prompt of Bash, once i removed that all went well
thanks for the persistence with me
2019-10-25 (3).png
rosspeel

Post by rosspeel »

All has been running well since the upgrade to 24v Battery setup, I am running LifePo4 batteries in series of 8, just as thought, because my battery must keep over voltage at no more then 28.6 volts and a low voltage of about 22v, (hopefully never get that low).
Just a idea.......Be nice to see the graph on the left hand side be scaled different, a scale from 22v to 30v so as to see steps in one volt steps.
With thanks Ross
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

rosspeel wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:35 am
All has been running well since the upgrade to 24v Battery setup, I am running LifePo4 batteries in series of 8, just as thought, because my battery must keep over voltage at no more then 28.6 volts and a low voltage of about 22v, (hopefully never get that low).
Just a idea.......Be nice to see the graph on the left hand side be scaled different, a scale from 22v to 30v so as to see steps in one volt steps.
With thanks Ross
Hi Ross. Are the other graphs ranges good for you? Probably the watts graph can be changed too. And the panel voltage.
rosspeel

Post by rosspeel »

Hi Jonathan, my setup, the voltage on the panel is just top out at 80V, my panels are rated at 45 volts open circuit each and while my graph doesn't get to 90v because there is alway a slight load on the panels, what would be handy is the wattage on the load side, if i could be worked out a Plus-Minus graph on the battery, that way i could tell if the battery is in charging or discharging state in relation to the load (Bit like a amp meter minus 20-0- plus 30 meter but in wattage).
The graph below is the last 24hrs of use
Just another thought, the semi circle charts if they could be grouped closer together and allow more room for the main graph, also at the same time could it also grow taller.
Thanks Ross
2019-10-27.png
rosspeel

Post by rosspeel »

Today i had the web page shake like in Adam Welsh you-tube video, it was only when i resized the page that it went away, there seems to be at certain sized window that this happens with, it maybe the browser problem?.
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

rosspeel wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:59 pm
Today i had the web page shake like in Adam Welsh you-tube video, it was only when i resized the page that it went away, there seems to be at certain sized window that this happens with, it maybe the browser problem?.
Yes, this happens at certain window sizes. Best is to avoid the size where this happens. V3 software may fix this.
amente

Post by amente »

mwhitson wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:34 am
I want to check to make sure I have this correct:

The solar dashboard attempts to connect to an external access point on startup. If successful it is running in STA mode and can be accessed via the network it connected to. If unsuccessful it goes into AP mode and runs the webpage to configure the network to connect to.

If this is correct, I would say that the setup is good for RVs when they are parked at home and connected to the house wifi network, but not so great when you are out in the wilderness where there are no networks to connect to. Seems to me that it should be possible to choose to just run the thing in AP mode to allow for this situation.

Hopefully I am just confused again and that doing this is possible.
@mwihtson thank you for your feedback. The V3 version now has the ability to work in AP mode and can be used with its own network, no need for an additional wifi network to connect it to.
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

I'm doing something similar for Morningstar controllers https://github.com/mike-s123/MStar-WLAN, although I'm not nearly as proficient in js (or coding).

Checking your code on bitbucket, I don't see where you're writing to SDCard. For instance, src/coms_web.cpp delivers hist_data.xml, but a grep of the code doesn't show anywhere else that file is accessed or written to. Am I missing something?
amente

Post by amente »

MikeS wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:50 pm
I'm doing something similar for Morningstar controllers https://github.com/mike-s123/MStar-WLAN, although I'm not nearly as proficient in js (or coding).

Checking your code on bitbucket, I don't see where you're writing to SDCard. For instance, src/coms_web.cpp delivers hist_data.xml, but a grep of the code doesn't show anywhere else that file is accessed or written to. Am I missing something?
Hi MikeS, the current code on bitbucket is for V1 and V2 version of the hardware. The V3 software is not currently on bitbucket. To write to SD card you can use the Arduino SD library, but serving files from SD card through ESP is tricky, this code in Github is a good start to look at: https://gist.github.com/pim-borst/17934 ... 4366c2135c