Solar Dashboard Project

Projects related to Solar Power
jonathan

Re: Solar Dashboard Project

Post by jonathan »

rosspeel wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:35 am
I have used a different program to flash, it seemed to go ahead and flash, but i am not getting a 24v battery reading, still showing 12v system (16v), I now have my LEDs flashing in a orderly way now instead a 3 constantly on

Also the links on your update Software Version 0.9.2come back with a reply "That link has no power here Return to the previous page or go back to your dashboard"

"Software Version and links added to HTML", the "rosspeel_custom_HW_V2_FW_0_9_2" i flashed seemed to not show any Software Version number on the web page
Hi Ross, let me check this for you.
rosspeel

Post by rosspeel »

Much appreciated, as i have another 24v system playing with.
https://youtu.be/d7iV83ra6ws
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

rosspeel wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:40 am
This may be a dumb question, but have been around in circles for last 5 hours trying to find how to Put ESP into bootloader mode with a windows machine, lots on a Linux machines and use terminal commands and lots of confusion.
Ross
Hi Ross, I've just confirmed you shouldn't need to enter bootloader mode at all, just unplug the 2 jumpers and connect the USB port. Make sure there are no other COM port devices connected to your PC.

Then run the esp-tool command and the ESP should be automatically detected and load the firmware.

See success screenshot below:
esptool_success.PNG
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

rosspeel wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:07 pm
Much appreciated, as i have another 24v system playing with.
https://youtu.be/d7iV83ra6ws
Hi Ross, I just downloaded the firmware and flashed it using the esptool.py, and it's showing your custom firmware.

Can you try to use the esptool to erase the flash:

Code: Select all

$ python esptool.py erase_flash
Check the webpage of the ESP to make sure it's dead.

and then program the firmware again. Make sure to extract the spiffs and firmware file into the esptool directory:

$ python esptool.py write_flash 0x000000 firmware.bin 0x300000 spiffs.bin
You should have to set up the wifi connection again, this means the erase worked.

Below is screenshot of what your custom firmware looks like:
ross_peel_solar_dashboard_screenshot.PNG
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

boffin wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:29 pm
jonathan wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:52 pm
Software Version 0.9.2 is released with a major fix, recommended all users download and install:

- Added Modbus reset procedure to allow resume if communication to EPEVER controller fails momentarily. This momentary failure seems to happen often at night or in the evening.

See the downloads page for the firmware (latest master):
https://bitbucket.org/jonathangoldnauvo ... downloads/

See the readme for flashing instructions.
https://bitbucket.org/jonathangoldnauvo ... /README.md
Hello Jonathan,
The links provided only take me to "https://bitbucket.org/jonathangoldnauvo/" with a 404. I presume it's not just me; t I was able to get to the repository from an older link I had saved.
Regards, Emanuel
Emanuel,
Any reliability improvements from the new firmware V0.9.2?
rosspeel

Post by rosspeel »

Still trying to workout how to flash from the instructions
as a beginner i am get more lost then found
I am using a win10 PC
I have installed Bash, and when i run bash i can get a drop down box when i right click the mouse
then get a box
Git Bash Here 1.jpg
Then i input esptool.py write_flash 0x000000 firmware.bin 0x300000 spiffs.bin
but get an error back
Git Bash Here 2.jpg
I have also tried placing all files inside the C:\Users\Owner\Downloads\Compressed\esptool-master\esptool-master and also include the to firmware bin files without any luck
Git Bash Here 5.jpg

This where anyway of doing a youtube video of how to setup the software and flash and update in a good step by step for windows dummies?
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

rosspeel wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:15 am
Still trying to workout how to flash from the instructions
as a beginner i am get more lost then found
I am using a win10 PC
I have installed Bash, and when i run bash i can get a drop down box when i right click the mouse
then get a box
Git Bash Here 1.jpg
Then i input esptool.py write_flash 0x000000 firmware.bin 0x300000 spiffs.bin
but get an error back
Git Bash Here 2.jpg
I have also tried placing all files inside the C:\Users\Owner\Downloads\Compressed\esptool-master\esptool-master and also include the to firmware bin files without any luck
Git Bash Here 5.jpg

This where anyway of doing a youtube video of how to setup the software and flash and update in a good step by step for windows dummies?
I'll make a video when I'm back from vacation. In the meantime,

Try adding "python" before your command like I said below:
jonathan wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:32 am

Hi Ross, I just downloaded the firmware and flashed it using the esptool.py, and it's showing your custom firmware.

Can you try to use the esptool to erase the flash:

$ python esptool.py erase_flash
Check the webpage of the ESP to make sure it's dead.

and then program the firmware again. Make sure to extract the spiffs and firmware file into the esptool directory:

$ python esptool.py write_flash 0x000000 firmware.bin 0x300000 spiffs.bin
You should have to set up the wifi connection again, this means the erase worked.

Below is screenshot of what your custom firmware looks like:ross_peel_solar_dashboard_screenshot.PNG
If it gives you an error like "python not found" you may need to install it and/or add it to your environment variable PATH. Plenty of help with that if you google that.

You can check for Python path being set up correctly by just typing Python

Jonathan.
boffin

Post by boffin »

Hey Jonathan. The updated software has been deployed since 16/10 and has been working reliably. One minor hitch with my WiFi network and the monitor would not reconnect without a power cycle - not your problem of course.
This update is an obvious improvement.
One observation however is regarding the behaviour of the green WiFi LED.
While I can contact the monitor via any device and all displays ok (with orange activity flashing) I’ve noticed sometimes that the WiFi LED is off rather than flashing. I’ve checked the router etc and it definitely is connected.
A minor “feature”. It seems that if there’s any interruption to WiFi connection at any time that the behaviour of that LED doesn’t recover ???
Anyway, all up it’s a great improvement making this monitor worth every cent.
It’s now also a source of further interest (maybe amusement) as I going forward I’ll attempt to fiddle with the code to customise the gauge scales to better suit my system capability :)
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

boffin wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:27 pm
Hey Jonathan. The updated software has been deployed since 16/10 and has been working reliably. One minor hitch with my WiFi network and the monitor would not reconnect without a power cycle - not your problem of course.
This update is an obvious improvement.
One observation however is regarding the behaviour of the green WiFi LED.
While I can contact the monitor via any device and all displays ok (with orange activity flashing) I’ve noticed sometimes that the WiFi LED is off rather than flashing. I’ve checked the router etc and it definitely is connected.
A minor “feature”. It seems that if there’s any interruption to WiFi connection at any time that the behaviour of that LED doesn’t recover ???
Anyway, all up it’s a great improvement making this monitor worth every cent.
It’s now also a source of further interest (maybe amusement) as I going forward I’ll attempt to fiddle with the code to customise the gauge scales to better suit my system capability :)
Great to hear. You're very observant, the light turning off is simply by chance. Everytime the web browser asks for data it toggles the light. There's a 50% chance it will be left in the off state when disconnecting. I'll fix this in the next update.
rosspeel

Post by rosspeel »

I think i have worked out getting Python going, when i open up CMD prompt and type in Python i now get a reply
CMD Python response.jpg
I found a Youtube video on installing esptool.py
https://youtu.be/p4UGKRKYFCs
esptool Installing.jpg
My Python script directory after install has the esptool inside it now after install
Python37 Scripts Files.jpg
But when i open Bash in where the bin files are and try and erase or upload the bin files i still get an error
Bash error.jpg
Any advice on what i am doing wrong would be helpful
Ross